Take your skillset and profession to the next level by getting certified through NAFCT.
Request for Subfloor Prep TrainingDo you have a group of employees that you would like to get certified for Substrate and Subfloor Prep? Start the process here. Requirements: NAFCT Membership in good standing; a minimum of 10 members enrolled/enrolling in the substrate and subfloor prep certification How the certification works: Each person attaining the Substrate and Subfloor Prep certification will need to complete the (7) online courses and accompanying quizzes (approx. 8 hours of work) prior to the in-person Subfloor Prep Training conducted by an NAFCT Educational Partner. The final online exam will need to be completed with a passing score of 80%. Once all three components are completed, the certification will be awarded.
LEARN MORE ABOUT GETTING CERTIFIED
Education and training will be provided via flexible online courses and in-person hands-on training.
- Online education is self-paced.
- Courses are set up for progressive learning covering basic knowledge and skills to advanced floor covering topics.
- Online lessons are broken down into 30-50 minute topics.
- Access to a vast network of on-site training events with key flooring manufacturers, NAFCT Educational Partners.
Installation Training and Certifications:
- Subfloor Preparation
- Moisture Mitigation
- Resilient LVP Installation – Residential
- Resilient Sheet Goods Installation Commercial
- Heat Welding and Flashcoves
- Hardwood Installation
- Carpet Installation
- Stone Ceramic Installation
Inspection Training and Certifications:
- Subfloor Inspection
- Resilient Inspection
- Carpet Inspection
- Hardwood Inspection
- Stone Ceramic Inspection
- Commercial construction for the Inspector
Maintenance Training and Certification:
How do I maintain my certification?Sarah FikeTo maintain an NAFCT Certification, certified person must:
- Keep yearly membership in good standing
- Complete any additional lessons added to the course curriculum within 90 days
- Complete twenty-four (24) Continuing Education Credits every 2 years
How long do I have to complete my certification?Sarah FikeCertification must be completed within 6 months of person registering for the certification. *Extenuating circumstances may allow for an extension of up to 1 year to be granted with approval from NAFCT.
Testing InformationSarah FikeIn order to pass a final exam, the testee must score a minimum of eighty percent (80%) or greater as determined by the respective committee overseeing the certification course. The testee will have three (3) attempts to pass the final certification exam. In the event, they are unable to pass within the 3 attempts, they will need to restart the program.
Are there any prerequisites for certification?Sarah FikeThere are no prerequisites for the Substrate and Subfloor Certification Program. Advanced certifications will have prerequisites required - please see that certification for requirements.
How does the Substrate and Subfloor Prep Certification Program work?Sarah FikeThe Substrate and Subfloor Prep Certification Program includes online learning and hands on training with NAFCT Educational Partners. It is advised that you take the online course prior to attending the hands-on training. The final exam may be taken prior to or after the hands-on training. The onliine lessons are available 24/7. Most lessons have a quiz that you will need to complete before advancing to the next lesson. Order of lessons is as follows:
- Wood Subfloor and Underlayment materials + quiz
- Wood Subfloor Construction + quiz
- Components of Concrete + quiz
- Concrete Subfloor Construction and Placement + quiz
- Concrete Problems and Causes + quiz
- Thick Pour Gypsum Underlayment
- Humidity, Vapor and Sources of Moisture + quiz
- Respirable Silica + quiz
Do I need to be an NAFCT member to take certification courses?Sarah FikeYes, in order to take a certification course, you do need to be an NAFCT member in good standing. Memberships start at $100 per year. Membership includes access to free webinars (continuing education credits), discounted event registration, networking resources and much more.
How do I create a directory listing?NAFCT TeamTo create a directory listing, follow these easy steps:
- Click into the directory you wish to create a listing for, scroll down to the bottom of the page and then click the 'GET LISTED NOW' button. Alternatively you can also go into MY ACCOUNT, then on the left side click on the directory name, then click the + button.
- Register or login.
- Select a listing option.
- Create your listing.
What is the approval process for a directory listing?NAFCT TeamAfter placing your order and creating your listing, your listing will go into a temporary "Pending" status. One of our admins will review your listing, approve it, then you will get an email from our website when your listing is live. Typical approval time is up to two business days.